Sunday, February 17, 2008

Mock Thanksgiving Dinner


This meal is kind of like Thanksgiving only much more simple. Since it is not the real Thanksgiving I make lots of shortcuts.
I buy some Turkey Slices from the Deli. I just tell them to cut me some nice thick pieces. I usually get 4 slices for my family.
I use Stove-Top (or any other boxed stuffing) and I use gravy from a jar.
The only things I make for this meal are the cornbread and cinnamon apples.

Cornbread Bread Muffins(after trying about half a dozen recipes this is the one that made it into my files.)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil or melted shortening
1 egg, slightly beaten

Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups. In medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt, mix well. Stir in remaning ingrediants just unitl smooth. Spoon Batter into muffin cups.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. Immediatly remove from muffin cups.

Cinnamon Apples
10 apples, cored, peeled and sliced thin
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 dash salt
1 dash nutmeg

Gently mix all the ingrediants together in a baking dish.
Cover and cook for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
Stir at least once every 15 minutes
Once they are soft, continue cookng for a few minutes to thicken up the cinnamon sauce.

Note: This make a lot of Cinnamon Apples but it is an easy recipe to reduce. I usually half it for my family but you could also easily only make this with 2-3 apples. Just be sure to watch the cooking time if you do reduce the recipe.
We like to eat these just as they are but they also go great with vanilla ice cream or with waffles and pancakes.

No comments: